Wednesday, June 29, 2011

LeBron James’s message to fans

Another great letter. News to fans in Boston: it isn't the "real world!"

Take it for what it is: entertainment, and a distraction from, as James put it, the “real world.’’



I’M A former Clevelander, and I would agree with Gary Washburn that LeBron James needs a good public relations consultant. But I had a very different interpretation of the quote for which Washburn criticized James (“An expensive distaste for James,’’ Sports, June 14). It sounded less like James was flaunting his wealth and success and more like he was pointing out that basketball is just a game and that whether he wins or loses won’t change anyone’s life. In other words, James was saying that fans need to get some perspective.

I agree with him. When my friends from Cleveland were bemoaning the fact that he left town for Miami, I told them to get a life. Fan is short for fanatic, and unfortunately fans get too caught up with sports teams and way too emotional about what happens to their hometown club.

Take it for what it is: entertainment, and a distraction from, as James put it, the “real world.’’

Elliott Negin, Washington

No comments: